meta

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dandelion series

Look at my backyard and you’re likely to see wilting succulents and thriving weeds. There are creeping clovers and clumps of crabgrass, prickly lettuce in crevices and dandelions between the pavers. It’s tongue-twister madness out there.

Dandelion inspiration mark
My dandelion series on Etsy is inspired by this photo, shot on 1st November 2009. I put my camera on continuous shooting mode, lifted the flower head skyward, held down the shutter release button and blew at the parachute florets.

I picked my favourite shot, played with the saturation, midtones and contrast to take advantage of the particularly dramatic clouds and ta-dah!




Dandelion
I love the wild and carefree nature of dandelions. They evoke memories of childhood innocence, of having all the time in the world. They’re seemingly fleeting yet so enduring and tenacious.

I love that their young leaves are great in salads, they make a soothing cuppa and their edible blossoms are perfect little garnishes.

We know them as weeds but they’re so much more than that.


No comments: